Adobe eBook Reader
Other available formats:
Looking for an examination copy?
If you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact firstname.lastname@example.org providing details of the course you are teaching.
This book is an account of the battles fought by Judas Maccabeus between 166 and 160 B.C. against the forces of the Seleucids during the revolt of the Jews against domination by the Seleucid empire. It reexamines the accepted assessments of Judas Maccabeus' activities and achievements and seeks to reconstruct the course of the military and political events of his time. Part I examines the composition and strength of the armies on both sides, their armaments and operating methods, and discusses the extent of Judas Maccabeus' success. Following an introduction evaluating the Jewish writings from all points of view, Part II gives detailed accounts of the battles, including the terrain and the tactics employed, analysing and commenting on the relevant narratives from the Book of Maccabees. Numerous appendices discuss individual problems vital to the reconstruction of the historical developments.
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: May 2012
- format: Adobe eBook Reader
- isbn: 9781139237918
- availability: This ISBN is for an eBook version which is distributed on our behalf by a third party.
Table of Contents
List of illustrations
Transliteration of Hebrew
Part I. Historical Evaluation:
2. The number of combatants on each side
3. The armament and tactical composition of the Jewish army
4. The ethnic origin and fighting capability of the Seleucid phalanx
5. The Seleucid army and mountain warfare
6. The military achievements of the Jewish forces
7. The battlefields, tactics and leadership of Judas Maccabaeus
Part II. Accounts of the Battles: Introduction, Text and Commentary:
8. The sources: their date, provenance and characteristics
9. The beginning of the Revolt and the battle against Apollonius
10. The ambush for Seron at the Beth Horon Ascent
11. The ceremony at Mizpah and the Ammaus campaign
12. Lysias' first expedition and the raid near Beth Zur
13. Lysias' second expedition and the battle at Beth Zacharia
14. The negotiations with Nicanor and the encounter at Kafar Salama
15. The battle of Adasa and Nicanor Day
16. Bacchides' second expedition and the battle of Elasa
Index of Greek terms
Index of Hebrew words and phrases.
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.comRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×