The Presocratic Philosophers
A Critical History with a Selcetion of Texts
$33.00 ( ) USD
- G. S. Kirk, University of Cambridge
- J. E. Raven, King's College, Cambridge
- M. Schofield, St John's College, Cambridge
Adobe eBook Reader
Other available formats:
Looking for an examination copy?
If you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact firstname.lastname@example.org providing details of the course you are teaching.
Beginning with a long and extensively rewritten introduction surveying the predecessors of the Presocratics, this book traces the intellectual revolution initiated by Thales in the sixth century BC to its culmination in the metaphysics of Parmenides and the complex physical theories of Anaxagoras and the Atomists in the fifth century it is based on a selection of some six hundred texts, in Greek and a close English translation which in this edition is given more prominence. These provide the basis for a detailed critical study of the principal individual thinkers of the time. Besides serving as an essential text for undergraduate and graduate courses in Greek philosophy and in the history of science, this book will appeal to a wide range of readers with interests in philosophy, theology, the history of ideas and of the ancient world, and indeed to anyone who wants an authoritative account of the Presocratics.
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Edition: 2nd Edition
- Date Published: August 2013
- format: Adobe eBook Reader
- isbn: 9780511251580
- contains: 2 b/w illus.
- availability: This ISBN is for an eBook version which is distributed on our behalf by a third party.
Table of Contents
Preface to the second edition
Preface to the first edition
1. The forerunners of philosophical cosmogony
2. The Ionian thinkers
3. Philosophy in the west
4. The Ionian response
Index of passages
Instructors have used or reviewed this title for the following courses
- Ancient and Medievel Political Thought
- Greek Philosophy to Plato
- History of Science: Ancients to Newton
- History of Western Political Thought
- Parmenides and His Aftermath
- Philosophy of Nature
- Seminar: Presocrates, Sophists, and Plato's Euthydemus
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.comRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×