The Works of Archimedes
Translation and Commentary
Volume 1. The Two Books On the Sphere and the Cylinder
$47.00 ( ) USD
Adobe eBook Reader
Other available formats:
Looking for an examination copy?
If you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact firstname.lastname@example.org providing details of the course you are teaching.
The works translated here--the two books On the Sphere and Cylinder--were a source of great pride for Archimedes, the greatest scientist of antiquity. Accompanying this translation is the first scientific edition of the diagrams, which incorporates new information from the recently discovered Archimedes Palimpsest. The volume also includes the first English translation of Eutocius's commentary. Reviel Netz's commentary analyzes Archimedes's work from contemporary research perspectives such as scientific style and the cognitive history of mathematical texts.Read more
- First fully-fledged English translation of these masterpieces by the greatest scientist of antiquity
- The scientific edition of the diagrams and the running commentary provided put the work at the forefront of the contemporary history of science
- Includes a translation of the Commentary by Eutocius, which contains some of the most valuable information we possess on the history of Greek mathematics
Reviews & endorsements
"This volume, and the overall project it launches, is a most welcome addition to the scholarship on Hellenistic mathematics and the mathematical sciences." Nathan Sidoli, University of TorontoSee more reviews
"...this work is an important, interesting, and very welcome contribution to the field of ancient mathematics." Bryn Mawr Classical Review
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: June 2006
- format: Adobe eBook Reader
- isbn: 9780511192142
- contains: 108 b/w illus.
- availability: This ISBN is for an eBook version which is distributed on our behalf by a third party.
Table of Contents
Translation and Commentary: On Sphere and Cylinder Book I
On Sphere and Cylinder Book II
Eutocius' Commentary to On Sphere and Cylinder Book I
Eutocius' Commentary to On Sphere and Cylinder Book II
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.comRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×