Mechanisms of Change
$16.00 ( ) USD
Part of Darwin College Lectures
Adobe eBook Reader
Other available formats:
Looking for an examination copy?
If you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact firstname.lastname@example.org providing details of the course you are teaching.
This volume collects essays from prominent intellectuals and public figures based on talks given at the 2015 Darwin College Lectures on the theme of 'development'. The writers are world-renowned experts in such diverse fields as architecture, astronomy, biology, climate science, economy, psychology, sports and technology. Development includes contributions from developmental biologist and Nobel laureate John B. Gurdon, Olympic gold medallist Katherine Grainger, astronomer and cosmologist Richard Ellis, developmental psychologist Bruce Hood, former Met Office Chief Scientist Julia Slingo, architect Michael Pawlyn, development economist Ha-Joon Chang and serial entrepreneur Hermann Hauser. While their perspectives and interpretations of development vary widely, their essays are linked by a common desire to describe and understand how things change, usually in the direction of ever-increasing complexity. Written with the lay reader in mind, this interdisciplinary book is a must-read for anybody interested in the mechanisms underlying the changes we see in the world around us.Read more
- Features contributions from world-renowned public intellectuals
- Relevant, accessible illustrations of development in various aspects of life and work will prove to be topical and engaging for the academically-minded lay reader
- An interdisciplinary approach allows readers to explore the nature and dynamics of development from a wide range of perspectives
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: December 2018
- format: Adobe eBook Reader
- isbn: 9781108581363
- contains: 16 b/w illus. 47 colour illus.
- availability: This ISBN is for an eBook version which is distributed on our behalf by a third party.
Table of Contents
Introduction Torsten Krude and Sara T. Baker
1. Animal development and reprogramming John B. Gurdon
2. Development of an athlete Katherine Grainger
3. The development of galaxies Richard Ellis
4. Developing a sense of self Bruce Hood
5. Development of climate science Julia Slingo
6. Biomimicry – development of sustainable design Michael Pawlyn
7. Economic development Ha-Joon Chang
8. Technology development Hermann Hauser.
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.comRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×