The Quest for Evolutionary Socialism
Eduard Bernstein and Social Democracy
$59.00 ( ) USD
- Author: Manfred B. Steger, Illinois State University
Adobe eBook Reader
Looking for an examination copy?
If you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact firstname.lastname@example.org providing details of the course you are teaching.
The Quest for Evolutionary Socialism is a timely response to the need for a new, comprehensive biography of the life and works of Eduard Bernstein, the German "Father of Marxist Revisionism". Professor Steger addresses recent academic developments and current debates on the "End of Socialism". Setting this study within the historical context of the European labor movement, Steger thus interprets Bernstein's "Evolutionary Socialism" as an ethically-motivated quest for liberty, solidarity and distributive justice.Read more
- Only current biography of Eduard Bernstein available in English
- Combines an in-depth history of pre-World War II Germany's labour movement with an exploration of socialist theory and liberal thought
- Includes a discussion of post-1989 events relating to the collapse of Communism
Reviews & endorsements
"Steger's impressive study should be the standard work in English on this subject for many years." T.M. Keefe, Choice
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: February 2011
- format: Adobe eBook Reader
- isbn: 9780511823329
- contains: 3 b/w illus.
- availability: This ISBN is for an eBook version which is distributed on our behalf by a third party.
Table of Contents
Introduction: the nature of Bernstein's quest
Part I. Preparation:
1. The making of a social democrat
2. Persecution and exile
3. The 'Revisionist Controversy'
Part II. Vision:
4. The meaning of socialism
5. Evolutionary socialism as 'organized liberalism': rethinking economics, state and democracy
Part III. Disappointment:
6. Facing the critics
7. The revisionist debate extended
8. The dawn of a new era
9. Bernstein's final battle: confronting socialist instrumentalism
Epilogue: evolutionary socialism at the 'end of socialism'
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.comRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×