Other available formats:
Looking for an examination copy?
If you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact email@example.com providing details of the course you are teaching.
Roberta Pergher transforms our understanding of Fascist rule. Examining Fascist Italy's efforts to control the antipodes of its realm - the regions annexed in northern Italy after the First World War, and Italy's North African colonies - she shows how the regime struggled to imagine and implement Italian sovereignty over alien territories and peoples. Contrary to the claims of existing scholarship, Fascist settlement policy in these regions was not designed to solve an overpopulation problem, but to bolster Italian claims to rule in an era that prized self-determination and no longer saw imperial claims as self-evident. Professor Pergher explores the character and impact of Fascist settlement policy and the degree to which ordinary Italians participated in and challenged the regime's efforts to Italianize contested territory. Employing models and concepts from the historiography of empire, she shows how Fascist Italy rethought the boundaries between national and imperial rule.Read more
- Transforms understandings of fascist population policies
- Challenges perceptions of nation and empire as separate projects under fascism
- Reconceptualizes sovereignty as everyday 'common sense'
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: December 2017
- format: Hardback
- isbn: 9781108419741
- length: 296 pages
- dimensions: 235 x 159 x 20 mm
- weight: 0.56kg
- contains: 3 b/w illus.
- availability: In stock
Table of Contents
1. The boundaries of sovereignty: Italian rule in contested territories
2. Settlement and sovereignty from the Alps to Africa. 3. Divided by a common language: the regime and the settlers
4. Other subjects, other citizens: the regime and the native populations
5. 'Inviolable' borders: land, people and the Option Agreement between Nazi Germany and Fascist Italy
Conclusion: Mussolini's Nation-Empire.
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email firstname.lastname@example.orgRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×