Socialism across the Iron Curtain
Socialist Parties in East and West and the Reconstruction of Europe after 1945
$84.00 ( ) USD
Part of New Studies in European History
- Author: Jan De Graaf, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium
Adobe eBook Reader
Other available formats:
Looking for an examination copy?
If you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact email@example.com providing details of the course you are teaching.
This innovative pan-European history of post-war socialism challenges the East-West paradigm that still dominates accounts of post-war Europe. Jan De Graaf offers a comparative study of the ways in which the French, Italian and Polish socialist parties and the Czechoslovakian Social Democratic Party dealt with the problems of socio-economic and political reconstruction. Drawing on archival documents in seven languages, De Graaf reveals the profound divide which existed in all four countries between socialist elites and their grassroots as workers reacted hostilely to calls for industrial discipline and for further sacrifices towards the reconstruction effort. He also provides a fresh interpretation of the political weaknesses of socialist parties in post-war continental Europe by stressing the importance of political history and social structure. By placing the attitudes of the continental socialist parties in their proper socio-historical context he highlights the many similarities across and divergences within the two putative blocs.Read more
- Brings together cases from East and West to shine fresh light on both national and comparative histories
- Challenges much of the current historiography of post-war European socialism and offers a new explanation for the weaknesses of post-war socialist parties
- Draws on archival documents in seven different languages
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: January 2019
- format: Adobe eBook Reader
- isbn: 9781108622783
- availability: This ISBN is for an eBook version which is distributed on our behalf by a third party.
Table of Contents
1. The national road to socialism
2. Bread, butter and egalitarianism
3. Discipline, sacrifice, and production
4. The morale of the story
5. The lessons of the past
6. Elections, parliaments, and constitutions
7. Democracy from below
8.The international road to socialism.
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email firstname.lastname@example.orgRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×