Adobe eBook Reader
Looking for an examination copy?
If you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact email@example.com providing details of the course you are teaching.
Using a wide range of professional genres such as research papers, business reports, performance commentaries, guidebooks and legal documents, this study focuses on the discourse of professional writing, employing analytic paradigms from systemic-functional linguistics, pragmatics, text analysis, sociology and anthropological linguistics. Kenneth Kong argues that while professions use different sets of practices, their use of language displays many universals. This is demonstrated through the analysis of data from a broad cross-section of professional settings such as medicine, law, business, mass media and engineering. This examination of professional discourse, and its important role in society, will be of interest to researchers in applied linguistics, to professionals who want to understand the role of language in their work, and to teachers of English for specific purposes.Read more
- Investigates inter-professional discourse so that readers can see the connections between different professions
- Explores current trends in discourse analysis, such as identity and multimodality
- Examines discourse from a range of perspectives, including systemic functional linguistics, pragmatics, text analysis, and sociology
Reviews & endorsements
"Kenneth Kong’s Professional Discourse is a keenly competent and deeply insightful discussion of the language and identity work of professionals. It is the state of the art in the field today."
James Paul Gee, Arizona State UniversitySee more reviews
"Professional Discourse promises to become a landmark contribution to the politics of, training for, and conduct of being professional in diverse occupations across international communities. It provides in-depth coverage of the theories, techniques, and assumptions in an engaging yet precise style, and serves as an indispensable resource for students as well as seasoned practitioners and researchers."
Patrice M. Buzzanell, Purdue University
30th Sep 2016 by IriSil
It is one of the few books on professional discourse. It is very good and useful for both teachers and students.
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: July 2014
- format: Adobe eBook Reader
- isbn: 9781139989855
- contains: 23 b/w illus. 13 tables
- availability: This ISBN is for an eBook version which is distributed on our behalf by a third party.
Table of Contents
Part I. Conceptual Issues:
2. Profession as a symbolic community
Part II. Linguistic Realizations:
3. Ideology in professional discourse
4. Communicative competence in the professional workplace
5. A model of interpersonal negotiation in professional discourse
Part III. Functions and Global Patterns:
6. Speech functions
8. Genre and textual patterning
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email firstname.lastname@example.orgRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×