Looking for an examination copy?
If you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact email@example.com providing details of the course you are teaching.
Traditional Jewish family law has persevered for hundreds of years and rules covering marriage, the raising of children, and divorce are well established; yet pressures from modern society are causing long held views to be re-examined. The Jewish Family: Between Family Law and Contract Law examines the tenets of Jewish family law in the light of new attitudes concerning the role of women, assisted reproduction technologies, and prenuptial agreements. It explores, through interdisciplinary research combining the legal aspects of family law and contract law, how the Jewish family can cope with both old and modern obstacles and challenges. Focusing on the nexus of Jewish family law and contract law to propose how 'freedom of contract' can be part of how family law can be interpreted, The Jewish Family will appeal to practitioners, activists, academic researchers, and laymen readers who are interested in the fields of law, theology, and social science.Read more
- Proposes a new understanding of the limits of freedom of contract in modern Jewish family law
- Examines Jewish family law in the light of new attitudes concerning the role of women
- Promotes the importance of combining Jewish contract and family law to enhance social justice
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Publication planned for: August 2019
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9781316615188
- dimensions: 229 x 152 mm
- availability: Not yet published - available from
Table of Contents
1. Regulating marital relations between spouses by consent
2. 'Freedom of contract' in Jewish family law – the differences between the Babylonian and Palestinian Talmuds
3. Is there really no conditional marriage?
4. Temporary marriage – a possible solution to the problem of the Agunah?
5. Towards establishing Halakhic parenthood by agreement?
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email firstname.lastname@example.orgRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×