The Implementation of the Findings of the African Commission on Human and Peoples' Rights
$29.00 ( ) USD
Adobe eBook Reader
Looking for an examination copy?
If you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact email@example.com providing details of the course you are teaching.
An 'implementation crisis' has been identified in the enforcement of rulings of UN and regional human rights bodies, and fundamental but crucial questions remain unanswered: what exactly does it mean to implement and comply with international and regional human rights decisions, and what factors influence whether a state implements and complies or not? Much more is now known about the work of the African Commission on Human and Peoples' Rights, but a gap still exists in the literature on the implementation of the findings of the Commission. This book draws upon the data and evaluation from a four-year research project, analysing the range of pronouncements of the African Commission, including its decisions on individual communications, provisional measures, resolutions, and promotional and protective mission reports. It investigates the extent to which states implement these findings and examines how that implementation is monitored by others.Read more
- Addresses the gap in the literature on the implementation of the findings of the African Commission on Human and Peoples' Rights
- Focuses on the implementation and compliance of human rights law in the African context
- Will appeal to practitioners and academics interested in the African legal system and the implementation of human rights law
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: May 2015
- format: Adobe eBook Reader
- isbn: 9781316309247
- availability: This ISBN is for an eBook version which is distributed on our behalf by a third party.
Table of Contents
2. Soft/hard, binding/non-binding: a useful distinction?
3. Concepts of implementation, compliance and follow-up
4. Range and status of findings from the African Commission on Human and Peoples' Rights
5. The 'use' of the African Commission findings at the national, regional and international levels
6. Follow-up and implementation at the national level
7. What role should the African Commission play in following up its own findings?
8. The relationship with the African Court
9. The role of the African Union
Appendix I. African Charter on Human and Peoples' Rights
Appendix II. Protocol to the African Charter on Human and Peoples' Rights Establishing the African Court on Human and Peoples' Rights
Appendix III. Rules of Procedure of the African Commission on Human and Peoples' Rights
Appendix IV. Resolution on the Importance of the Implementation of the Recommendations of the African Commission on Human and Peoples' Rights by States Parties.
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email firstname.lastname@example.orgRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×