Biology of the Land Crabs
$62.00 ( ) USD
Adobe eBook Reader
Other available formats:
Looking for an examination copy?
If you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact firstname.lastname@example.org providing details of the course you are teaching.
Interest in land crabs has burgeoned as biologists have increasingly focused on the evolution of terrestriality. Before the publication of this volume in 1988, there had been no single comprehensive source of information to serve biologists interested in the diverse aspects of terrestrial decapod crustacean. Biology of the Land Crabs was the first synthesis of recent and long-established findings on brachyuran and anomuran crustaceans that have evolved varying degrees of adaptation for life on land. Chapters by leading researchers take a coordinated evolutionary and comparative approach to systematics and evolution, ecology, behaviour, reproduction, growth and molting, ion and water balance, respiration and circulation, and energetics and locomotion. Each discusses how terrestrial species have become adapted from ancestral freshwater or marine forms. With its extensive bibliography and comprehensive index, including the natural history of nearly eighty species of brachyuran and anomuran crabs, Biology of the Land Crabs will continue to be an invaluable reference for researchers and advanced students.
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: May 2012
- format: Adobe eBook Reader
- isbn: 9781139245272
- availability: This ISBN is for an eBook version which is distributed on our behalf by a third party.
Table of Contents
1. Biology of the land crabs: an introduction Warren W. Burggren and Brian R. McMaHon
2. Evolution, systematics and geographical distribution Richard G. Hartnoll
3. Ecology Thomas G. Wolcott
4. Behaviour David W. Dunham and Sandra L. Gilchrist
5. Reproduction and development Rita G. Adiyodi
6. Growth and molting Richard G. Hartnoll
7. Ion and waterbalance Peter Greenaway
8. Respiration Brian R. McMahon and Warren W. Burggren
9. Circulation Warren W. Burggren and Brian R. McMahon
10. Energetics and locomotion Clyde F. Herreid II and Robert J. Full
11. Epilogue Brian R. McMahon and Warren W. Burggren.
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.comRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×