Bacterial Physiology and Metabolism
$71.00 ( ) USD
- Byung Hong Kim, Korea Institute of Science and Technology, Seoul
- Geoffrey Michael Gadd, University of Dundee
Adobe eBook Reader
Looking for an examination copy?
If you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact email@example.com providing details of the course you are teaching.
Recent determination of genome sequences for a wide range of bacteria has made in-depth knowledge of prokaryotic metabolic function essential in order to give biochemical, physiological, and ecological meaning to the genomic information. Clearly describing the important metabolic processes that occur in prokaryotes under different conditions and in different environments, this advanced text provides an overview of the key cellular processes that determine bacterial roles in the environment, biotechnology, and human health. Prokaryotic structure is described as well as the means by which nutrients are transported into cells across membranes. Glucose metabolism through glycolysis and the TCA cycle are discussed, as well as other trophic variations found in prokaryotes, including the use of organic compounds, anaerobic fermentation, anaerobic respiratory processes, and photosynthesis. The regulation of metabolism through control of gene expression and control of the activity of enzymes is also covered, as well as survival mechanisms used under starvation conditions.Read more
- Up-to-date and thorough account of bacterial physiology and metabolism based on current research knowledge
- Extensively illustrated with simple, clear diagrams to summarise and aid understanding of this complex material
- Covers all aspects of bacterial physiology and metabolism in different environments from the structure of bacterial cells to complex regulatory mechanisms
Reviews & endorsements
"Ample charts and tables make it simple to follow complex pathways. The accurate, current information in this volume is extremely applicable to researchers in the fields of bioprocessing, bionanotechnology, bioremediation, and fermentation. Highly recommended."
B. R. Shmaefsky, Choice Magazine
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: April 2008
- format: Adobe eBook Reader
- isbn: 9780511389146
- contains: 277 b/w illus.
- availability: This ISBN is for an eBook version which is distributed on our behalf by a third party.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction to bacterial physiology and metabolism
2. Composition and structure of prokaryotic cells
3. Membrane transport - nutrient uptake and protein excretion
5. Tricarboxylic acid (TCA) cycle, electron transport and oxidative phosphorylation
6. Biosynthesis and microbial growth
7. Heterotrophic metabolism on substrates other than glucose
8. Anaerobic fermentation
9. Anaerobic respiration
12. Metabolic regulation
13. Energy, environment and microbial survival.
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email firstname.lastname@example.orgRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×