Gods and Humans in Medieval Scandinavia
Retying the Bonds
$80.00 ( ) USD
- Author: Jonas Wellendorf, University of California, Berkeley
Adobe eBook Reader
Other available formats:
Looking for an examination copy?
If you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact firstname.lastname@example.org providing details of the course you are teaching.
The coming of Christianity to Northern Europe resulted in profound cultural changes. In the course of a few generations, new answers were given to fundamental existential questions and older notions were invalidated. Jonas Wellendorf's study, the first monograph in English on this subject, explores the medieval Scandinavian reception and re-interpretation of pre-Christian Scandinavian religion. This original work draws on a range of primary sources ranging from Prose Edda and Saxo Grammaticus' History of the Danes to less well known literary works including the Saga of Barlaam and the Hauksbók manuscript (c.1300). By providing an in-depth analysis of often overlooked mythological materials, along with translations of all textual passages, Wellendorf delivers an accessible work that sheds new light on the ways in which the old gods were integrated into the Christian worldview of medieval Scandinavia.Read more
- Presents the first study in English to explore ways in which medieval Scandinavians received and re-interpreted pre-Christian religion
- Contextualizes the canonical Prose Edda through a close reading of less well-known mythological literary works including the Saga of Barlaam, the Hauksbók manuscript (c.1300) and Saxo Grammaticus' History of the Danes
- Offers full translation of Old Norse textual passages to provide an accessible study
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: March 2018
- format: Adobe eBook Reader
- isbn: 9781108677530
- availability: This ISBN is for an eBook version which is distributed on our behalf by a third party.
Table of Contents
1. Retying the bonds
2. The hierarchy of disbeliefs in antipagan polemics
3. Universalist aspirations in Hauksbók
4. The Byzantine Gods of Saxo Grammaticus
5. Gods and humans in the Prose Edda
Epilogue: Óðinn and Odysseus.
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.comRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×