Looking for an examination copy?
If you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact firstname.lastname@example.org providing details of the course you are teaching.
Spectral sequences are among the most elegant and powerful methods of computation in mathematics. This book describes some of the most important examples of spectral sequences and some of their most spectacular applications. The first part treats the algebraic foundations for this sort of homological algebra, starting from informal calculations. The heart of the text is an exposition of the classical examples from homotopy theory, with chapters on the Leray-Serre spectral sequence, the Eilenberg-Moore spectral sequence, the Adams spectral sequence, and, in this new edition, the Bockstein spectral sequence. The last part of the book treats applications throughout mathematics, including the theory of knots and links, algebraic geometry, differential geometry and algebra. This is an excellent reference for students and researchers in geometry, topology, and algebra.Read more
- Complete treatment of spectral sequences and their applications in algebraic topology
- Emphasis on bringing novices into the subject
- Development of certain applications shows off the most computational parts of homotopy theory
Reviews & endorsements
From reviews of the first edition: 'McCleary has undertaken and completed a daunting task; few algebraic topologists would have the courage to even try to write a book such as this. The mathematical community is indebted to him for this achievement!' Bulletin of the AMSSee more reviews
'… this guide is a treasure trove …'. Niew Archief voor Wiskunde
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Edition: 2nd Edition
- Date Published: December 2000
- format: Hardback
- isbn: 9780521561419
- length: 580 pages
- dimensions: 237 x 162 x 37 mm
- weight: 0.889kg
- contains: 48 b/w illus.
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
Part I. Algebra:
1. An informal introduction
2. What is a spectral sequence?
3. Tools and examples
Part II. Topology:
4. Topological background
5. The Leray–Serre spectral sequence I
6. The Leray–Serre spectral sequence II
7. The Eilenberg–Moore spectral sequence I
8. The Eilenberg–Moore spectral sequence II
9. The Adams spectral sequence
10. The Bockstein spectral sequence
Part III. Sins of Omission:
11. Spectral sequences in algebra, algebraic geometry and algebraic K-theory
12. More spectral sequences in topology.
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.comRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×