This second edition of a highly successful graduate text presents a complete introduction to partial differential equations and numerical analysis. Revised to include new sections on finite volume methods, modified equation analysis, and multigrid and conjugate gradient methods, the second edition brings the reader up-to-date with the latest theoretical and industrial developments. First Edition Hb (1995): 0-521-41855-0 First Edition Pb (1995): 0-521-42922-6Read more
- Second edition of well known and respected graduate textbook
- Revision includes new material on multigrid and conjugate gradient methods giving it modern relevance
- Updated problem sets with solutions available from email@example.com
Reviews & endorsements
"...a classic piece of work with which every applied mathematician and engineer should become familiar."
Applied Mechanics ReviewsSee more reviews
"Numerical Solution of Partial Differential Equations is one of the best introductory books on the finite difference method available."
"First and foremost, the text is very well written. The authors take great care in keeping the presentation at an elementary level...The reader obtains at least a good intuitive understanding of many important concepts of the field."
Jens Lorenz, University of New Mexico, SIAM Review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Edition: 2nd Edition
- Date Published: April 2005
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9780521607933
- length: 294 pages
- dimensions: 229 x 152 x 16 mm
- weight: 0.4kg
- contains: 134 b/w illus. 50 exercises
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
2. Parabolic equations in one space variable
3. 2-D and 3-D parabolic equations
4. Hyperbolic equations in one space dimension
5. Consistency, convergence and stability
6. Linear second order elliptic equations in two dimensions
7. Iterative solution of linear algebraic equations
Find resources associated with this titleYour search for '' returned .
Type Name Unlocked * Format Size
This title is supported by one or more locked resources. Access to locked resources is granted exclusively by Cambridge University Press to instructors whose faculty status has been verified. To gain access to locked resources, instructors should sign in to or register for a Cambridge user account.
Please use locked resources responsibly and exercise your professional discretion when choosing how you share these materials with your students. Other instructors may wish to use locked resources for assessment purposes and their usefulness is undermined when the source files (for example, solution manuals or test banks) are shared online or via social networks.
Supplementary resources are subject to copyright. Instructors are permitted to view, print or download these resources for use in their teaching, but may not change them or use them for commercial gain.
If you are having problems accessing these resources please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Instructors have used or reviewed this title for the following courses
- Numerical Methods for Partial Differential Equations
- Numerical Solutions to Differential Equations I
Sorry, this resource is locked