Other available formats:
Looking for an examination copy?
If you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact firstname.lastname@example.org providing details of the course you are teaching.
Packing spheres, Reversi, braids, polyominoes, board games, and the puzzles of Lewis Carroll. These and other mathematical diversions return to readers with updates to all the chapters, including new game variations, mathematical proofs, and other developments and discoveries. Read about Knuth’s Word Ladders program and the latest developments in the digits of pi. Once again these timeless puzzles will charm readers while demonstrating principles of logic, probability, geometry, and other fields of mathematics.Read more
- Timeless puzzles from the 25 year run of the Scientific American 'Mathematical Games' columns
- Features extensive updates by Gardner that are not found in any other editions of these books
- Part of the first complete collection of Martin Gardner's Mathematical Library
Reviews & endorsements
"In this collection of 20 reprints of his "Mathematical Games" columns from 1959 and 1961 issues of Scientific American, Gardner shares his delight in recreational math. The renowned mathematics and science writer presents concepts exemplified by board games and puzzles by the author of Alice in Wonderland and others, with solutions, updated information, and references. Among Gardener's many books is The Annotated Alice. Published in association with the Mathematical Association of America."
Book NewsSee more reviews
"While Martin Gardner has always called himself "strictly a journalist," he should really be honored as one of this country's greatest cultural treasures."
The Washington Post For the full text visit: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/10/21/AR2009102103700.html
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: July 2009
- format: Hardback
- isbn: 9780521756075
- length: 298 pages
- dimensions: 216 x 145 x 20 mm
- weight: 0.45kg
- contains: 130 b/w illus.
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
1. The binary system
2. Group theory and braids
3. Eight problems
4. The games and puzzles of Lewis Carroll
5. Paper cutting
6. Board games
7. Sphere packing
8. The transcendental number Pi
9. Victor Eigen, mathemagician
10. The four-color map theorem
11. Mr. Apollinax visits New York
12. Nine problems
13. Polyominoes and fault-free rectangles
14. Euler's spoilers: the discovery of an Order-10 Graeco-Latin square
15. The ellipse
16. The 24 color squares and the 30 color cubes
17. H. S. M. Coxeter
18. Bridg-it and other games
19. Nine more problems
20. The calculus of finite differences.
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.comRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×