Adobe eBook Reader
Other available formats:
Looking for an examination copy?
If you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact firstname.lastname@example.org providing details of the course you are teaching.
This book introduces readers to the fascinating interaction of specialized gamete cells, forming the early embryo and a blueprint of new life. Readers will gain a thorough understanding of the complex physiological events and mechanical processes - such as ionic regulation, metabolism and intracellular signalling - to decipher cause and effect in fertilization. Wide-ranging in its approach, this book describes fertilization as a highly conserved mechanism throughout the animal kingdom, taking case studies from echinoderms, ascidians, amphibians and mammals through to other phyla. An excellent companion to undergraduate and postgraduate students of medicine, veterinary and biological sciences, this text provides an underpinning of the mechanisms of fertilization that inform assisted reproduction practice and research in medicine and agriculture. It explores the detailed phases before fertilization: the oocyte as a quiescent cell, attracting its partner gamete, followed by a cascade of pre-determined physiological events, to form the dynamic zygote cell; setting the scene for the early embryo, and beyond.Read more
- Takes a comparative look at the fertilization process, across the animal kingdom
- Tackles fertilization from a dynamic viewpoint, transmitting a multitude of changes that occur in gametes during fertilization
- Describes the first moments of a new life, indicating the complex transformation from an oocyte into an embryo
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: August 2018
- format: Adobe eBook Reader
- isbn: 9781108634236
- contains: 99 b/w illus. 4 colour illus.
- availability: This ISBN is for an eBook version which is distributed on our behalf by a third party.
Table of Contents
2. Producing gametes
3. The players, sperm and oocytes
4. Sperm-oocyte interaction
5. Oocyte activation
6. The dynamics of fertilization
7. Transformation of the zygote in to the early embryo
8. Basic biology concepts
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.comRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×