Other available formats:
Looking for an examination copy?
If you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact email@example.com providing details of the course you are teaching.
This book is about one musical work, the popular Quartet for the End of Time by the great French composer Olivier Messiaen. Like virtually all of his works, the Quartet combines the striking technical achievement of Messiaen's rich and attractive musical style with a deeply felt theological inspiration. Anthony Pople's book provides an introduction to Messiaen's style through an examination of this great work, showing how it came to be composed while Messiaen was a prisoner-of-war and premiered under extraordinary conditions in Stalag VIIIA in 1941. He gives an in-depth assessment of each of its eight movements.Read more
- An accessible introduction to Messiaen's style through one of his most popular works
- Contains an in-depth assessment of each of the Quartet's eight movements
- Examines the many links between the work's theological inspiration and its musical language
Reviews & endorsements
"Recommended for all music libraries." Choice
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: August 1998
- format: Hardback
- isbn: 9780521584975
- length: 128 pages
- dimensions: 225 x 148 x 14 mm
- weight: 0.25kg
- contains: 2 tables 31 music examples
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
1. 'Liturgie de cristal'
2. 'Vocalise, pour l'Ange qui annonce la fin du temps'
3. 'Abîme des oiseaux'
5. 'Louange à l'éternité de Jésus'
6. 'Danse de la fureur, pour les septs trompettes'
7. 'Fouillis d'arcs-en-ciel, pour l'Ange qui annonce la fin du temps'
8. 'Louange à l'Immortalité de Jésus'
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email firstname.lastname@example.orgRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×