A Teleological Account
$50.00 ( ) USD
- Author: Seumas Miller, Charles Sturt University, Bathurst, New South Wales
Adobe eBook Reader
Looking for an examination copy?
If you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact email@example.com providing details of the course you are teaching.
Social action is central to social thought. This book provides philosophical analyses of fundamental categories of human social action, including cooperative action, conventional action, social norm governed action, and the actions of the occupants of organizational roles. These theories of social action categories are then applied to issues such as environmental pollution, humanitarian intervention and rights of minority groups. Avoiding both the excessively atomistic individualism of rational choice theorists and implausible collectivist assumptions, this important book will be widely read by philosophers of the social sciences, political scientists and sociologists.Read more
- Good interdisciplinary area (philosophy, sociology, political theory) where we have published many successful books (by Elster, Hollis, etc.)
- Application of theory to ethical problems of collective responsibility will increase the appeal of the book
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: January 2005
- format: Adobe eBook Reader
- isbn: 9780511031144
- availability: This ISBN is for an eBook version which is distributed on our behalf by a third party.
Table of Contents
1. Theories of social action
2. Joint action
4. Social norms
5. Organizations, agency and action
6. Social institutions and social groups
7. Collective rights
8. Collective responsibility.
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email firstname.lastname@example.orgRegister Sign in