The Significance of the New Logic
$88.00 ( ) USD
- Real Author: Willard Van Orman Quine
- Editors and translators:
- Walter Carnielli, Universidade Estadual de Campinas, Brazil
- Frederique Janssen-Lauret, University of Manchester
- William Pickering, Universidade Estadual de Campinas, Brazil
Adobe eBook Reader
Other available formats:
Looking for an examination copy?
If you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact email@example.com providing details of the course you are teaching.
W. V. Quine was one of the most influential figures of twentieth-century American analytic philosophy. Although he wrote predominantly in English, in Brazil in 1942 he gave a series of lectures on logic and its philosophy in Portuguese, subsequently published as the book O Sentido da Nova Lógica. The book has never before been fully translated into English, and this volume is the first to make its content accessible to Anglophone philosophers. Quine would go on to develop revolutionary ideas about semantic holism and ontology, and this book provides a snapshot of his views on logic and language at a pivotal stage of his intellectual development. The volume also includes an essay on logic which Quine also published in Portuguese, together with an extensive historical-philosophical essay by Frederique Janssen-Lauret. The valuable and previously neglected works first translated in this volume will be essential for scholars of twentieth-century philosophy.Read more
- The first English translation of this work from the Portuguese, making it accessible to Anglophone philosophers and logicians for the first time
- Includes an accompanying essay identifying the key doctrines put forward in Quine's work, enabling readers to situate this pivotal book within the development of his philosophy
- Includes an accompanying essay which provides important insights into Quine's views on logic and language, which led to his revolutionary semantic holism and influential views on ontology
Reviews & endorsements
'This volume brings together works by Quine that are of great importance to those interested in the development of 20th-century Anglophone philosophy.' J. A. Fischel, Choice
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: November 2018
- format: Adobe eBook Reader
- isbn: 9781316836323
- availability: This ISBN is for an eBook version which is distributed on our behalf by a third party.
Table of Contents
Editors' introduction Walter Carnielli, Frederique Janssen-Lauret and William Pickering
W. V. O. Quine's philosophical development in the 1930s and 1940s Frederique Janssen-Lauret
The Significance of the New Logic W. V. O. Quine
Appendix. The United States and the revival of logic W. V. O. Quine.
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email firstname.lastname@example.orgRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×