$20.00 ( ) USD
Adobe eBook Reader
Looking for an examination copy?
If you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact firstname.lastname@example.org providing details of the course you are teaching.
Plato's Laws is one of the most important surviving works of ancient Greek political thought. It offers sustained reflection on the enterprise of legislation, and on its role in the social and religious regulation of society in all its aspects. Many of its ideas were drawn upon by later political thinkers, from Aristotle and Cicero to Thomas More and Montesquieu. This book presents the first translation of the complete text of the Laws for thirty-five years, in Tom Griffith's readable and reliable English. Malcolm Schofield, a leading scholar of Greek philosophy, introduces the main themes and characteristics of the work, as well as supplying authoritative notes on the structure and detail of Plato's argument, together with a guide to further reading. The book will be a key resource for those interested in Greek philosophy and of the history of political thought.Read more
- An English translation of the Laws that combines accuracy with accessibility
- The accompanying introduction, notes, and analysis of the entire work present essential navigational aids
- An important resource for scholars, as well as graduate and undergraduate students of Greek philosophy and the history of political thought
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: March 2017
- format: Adobe eBook Reader
- isbn: 9781316496619
- availability: This ISBN is for an eBook version which is distributed on our behalf by a third party.
Table of Contents
A guide to further reading
The Laws: Book 1
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.comRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×