Adobe eBook Reader
Other available formats:
Looking for an examination copy?
If you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact firstname.lastname@example.org providing details of the course you are teaching.
What differences do welfare state variations make for women? How do women and men fare in different welfare states? Diane Sainsbury answers these questions by analyzing the United States, Britain, Sweden and The Netherlands, whose welfare policies differ in significant ways. Building on feminist research, she determines the extent to which legislation reflects and perpetuates the gendered division of labor in the family and society, as well as what types of policy alter gender relations in social provision. She offers constructive proposals for securing greater equality between women and men.Read more
- Compelling comparative account across different countries and different systems: US, UK, Sweden, and Netherlands
- Offers a feminist critique which examines position of both women and men
- Constructs new framework for analysis, examining changes since 1960s to present day and offering future policies for greater equality
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: April 2011
- format: Adobe eBook Reader
- isbn: 9780511822100
- contains: 22 tables
- availability: This ISBN is for an eBook version which is distributed on our behalf by a third party.
Table of Contents
Part I. Dimensions of Variation:
1. Mainstream welfare state variations
2. Gendering dimensions of welfare states
Part II. Bases of Entitlement:
3. The male breadwinner model and women's entitlements as wives
4. Women's entitlements as mothers and caregivers
5. Women's employment and entitlements as workers
Part III. Stratification and Redistributive Outcomes:
6. Access to benefits and the stratifying effects of bases of entitlement
7. Benefit inequalities and the redistributive outcomes
Part IV. Welfare State Restructuring:
8. Gender equality reforms and their impact
9. Welfare state retrenchment.
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.comRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×