Written by an internationally recognized teacher and researcher, this book provides a thorough, modern treatment of the aerodynamic principles of helicopters and other rotating-wing vertical lift aircraft such as tilt rotors and autogiros. The text begins with a unique technical history of helicopter flight, and then covers basic methods of rotor aerodynamic analysis, and related issues associated with the performance of the helicopter and its aerodynamic design. It goes on to cover more advanced topics in helicopter aerodynamics, including airfoil flows, unsteady aerodynamics, dynamic stall, and rotor wakes, and rotor-airframe aerodynamic interactions, with final chapters on autogiros and advanced methods of helicopter aerodynamic analysis. Extensively illustrated throughout, each chapter includes a set of homework problems. Advanced undergraduate and graduate students, practising engineers, and researchers will welcome this thoroughly revised and updated text on rotating-wing aerodynamics.Read more
- The author is an internationally recognized expert on helicopter aerodynamics
- The only modern text that fully covers airfoil aerodynamics, unsteady aerodynamics, dynamic stall, and rotor wakes
- Includes four new chapters on autogiros, wind turbines, computer methods, and rotor-airframe interaction
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Edition: 2nd Edition
- Date Published: December 2016
- format: Hardback
- isbn: 9781107013353
- length: 866 pages
- dimensions: 262 x 183 x 50 mm
- weight: 1.8kg
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
Preface to the second edition
Preface to the first edition
List of main symbols
1. Introduction: a history of helicopter flight
2. Fundamentals of rotor aerodynamics
3. Blade element analysis
4. Rotating blade motion
5. Helicopter performance
6. Aerodynamics design of helicopters
7. Aerodynamics of rotor airfoils
8. Unsteady airfoil behavior
9. Dynamic stall
10. Rotor wakes and blade tip vortices
11. Rotor-airframe interaction aerodynamics
12. Autogiros and gyroplanes
13. Aerodynamics of wind turbines
14. Computational methods for helicopter aerodynamics
Find resources associated with this titleYour search for '' returned .
Type Name Unlocked * Format Size
This title is supported by one or more locked resources. Access to locked resources is granted exclusively by Cambridge University Press to lecturers whose faculty status has been verified. To gain access to locked resources, lecturers should sign in to or register for a Cambridge user account.
Please use locked resources responsibly and exercise your professional discretion when choosing how you share these materials with your students. Other lecturers may wish to use locked resources for assessment purposes and their usefulness is undermined when the source files (for example, solution manuals or test banks) are shared online or via social networks.
Supplementary resources are subject to copyright. Lecturers are permitted to view, print or download these resources for use in their teaching, but may not change them or use them for commercial gain.
If you are having problems accessing these resources please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.comRegister Sign in