Systematic Program Design
From Clarity to Efficiency
$37.00 ( ) USD
- Author: Yanhong Annie Liu, Stony Brook University, State University of New York
Adobe eBook Reader
Looking for an examination copy?
This title is not currently available for examination. However, if you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact email@example.com providing details of the course you are teaching.
A systematic program design method can help developers ensure the correctness and performance of programs while minimizing the development cost. This book describes a method that starts with a clear specification of a computation and derives an efficient implementation by step-wise program analysis and transformations. The method applies to problems specified in imperative, database, functional, logic, and object-oriented programming languages with different data, control, and module abstractions. Designed for courses or self-study, this book includes numerous exercises and examples that require minimal computer science background, making it accessible to novices. Experienced practitioners and researchers will appreciate the detailed examples in a wide range of application areas including hardware design, image processing, access control, query optimization, and program analysis. The last section of the book points out directions for future studies.Read more
- Offers problem specifications and implementations in all of imperative, database, functional, logic and object-oriented programming languages using different data, control and module abstractions
- Outlines a systematic method for transforming clear specifications into efficient implementations using three key steps: iterate, incrementalize and implement
- Contains substantial examples in a wide range of application problems: hardware design, image processing, access control and many more
Reviews & endorsements
"As an experienced programmer and educator, I have to admit, I felt deep enjoyment while reading this book. It was a pleasant experience."
M. M. Tanik, Computing ReviewsSee more reviews
"It will prove very useful for graduate students who wish to start their literature review with a comprehensive example of the state of the art in formal methods, and it is an excellent platform for self-directed learning. This well-structured, comprehensive book reflects the author's experience and strong background in the field. Highly recommended."
L. Benedicenti, Choice
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: June 2013
- format: Adobe eBook Reader
- isbn: 9781107331303
- contains: 14 b/w illus. 90 exercises
- availability: This ISBN is for an eBook version which is distributed on our behalf by a third party.
Table of Contents
2. Loops: incrementalize
3. Sets: incrementalize and implement
4. Recursion: iterate and incrementalize
5. Rules: iterate, incrementalize, and implement
6. Objects: incrementalize across module abstraction
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email firstname.lastname@example.orgRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×