Adobe eBook Reader
Other available formats:
Looking for an examination copy?
This title is not currently available for examination. However, if you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact email@example.com providing details of the course you are teaching.
Cloud computing promises to revolutionize IT and business by making computing available as a utility over the internet. This book is intended primarily for practising software architects who need to assess the impact of such a transformation. It explains the evolution of the internet into a cloud computing platform, describes emerging development paradigms and technologies, and discusses how these will change the way enterprise applications should be architected for cloud deployment. Gautam Shroff provides a technical description of cloud computing technologies, covering cloud infrastructure and platform services, programming paradigms such as MapReduce, as well as ‘do-it-yourself' hosted development tools. He also describes emerging technologies critical to cloud computing. The book also covers the fundamentals of enterprise computing, including a technical introduction to enterprise architecture, so it will interest programmers aspiring to become software architects and serve as a reference for a graduate-level course in software architecture or software engineering.Read more
- The first technical treatment of this emerging area
- Covers all the essentials required to understand cloud computing
- Describes in detail new programming paradigms such as MapReduce and Dev 2.0
Reviews & endorsements
"Gautam Shroff's new book has arrived at a critical time and ably serves the computer professional wishing explore important new information technology. The past few years have seen an acceleration in the normally rapid pace of technological change. Cloud computing is becoming the new reality. It requires an understanding of virtualization and of the new systems designed to support massively parallel computation in the cloud: map-reduce, Hadoop, Hive, and many others. These techniques in turn make possible very large-scale enterprise analytics, using a variety of modern data-mining algorithms. In a succinct way, the author introduces us to all of these technologies and provides a unique perspective on today's IT infrastructure."
Jeffrey D. Ullman, Professor Emeritus, Stanford UniversitySee more reviews
"Clouds are usually associated with vapor, and are close cousins of fog and mist - Gautam's book is a huge step forward in bringing clarity and tangibility into this exciting next stage of evolution in enterprise IT. Gautam has a deep understanding of the cloud from the technology, customer requirement, service provider and innovator perspectives. I am glad he has translated this wealth of knowledge to the benefit of the greater technical community."
K. Ananth Krishnan, Chief Technology Officer, Tata Consultancy Services
"This book provides a sound foundation for software architects who need to understand the potential impacts of moving to cloud computing."
David G. Hill, Computing Reviews
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: December 2010
- format: Adobe eBook Reader
- isbn: 9780511855108
- contains: 85 b/w illus. 1 colour illus.
- availability: This ISBN is for an eBook version which is distributed on our behalf by a third party.
Table of Contents
Part I. Computing Platforms:
1. Enterprise computing: a retrospective
2. The internet as a platform
3. Software as a service and cloud computing
4. Enterprise architecture: role and evolution
Part II. Cloud Platforms:
5. Cloud computing platforms
6. Cloud computing economics
Part III. Cloud Technologies:
7. Web services, AJAX and mashups
8. Virtualization technology
9. Multi-tenant software
Part IV. Cloud Development:
10. Data in the cloud
11. MapReduce and extensions
12. Dev 2.0 platforms
Part V. Software Architecture:
13. Enterprise software: ERP, SCM, CRM
14. Custom enterprise applications and Dev 2.0
15. Workflow and business processes
16. Enterprise analytics and search
Part VI. Enterprise Cloud Computing:
17. Enterprise cloud computing ecosystem
18. Roadmap for enterprise cloud computing
List of abbreviations
Sorry, this resource is locked