Looking for an examination copy?
This title is not currently available for examination. However, if you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact email@example.com providing details of the course you are teaching.
This edition presents a radically improved text of Diogenes Laertius' Lives of Eminent Philosophers. The text is accompanied by a three level apparatus. A lengthy introduction list all the manuscripts of Diogenes' Lives and discusses its transmission in Late Antiquity and Medieval and Renaissance Periods. There is also a index of personal names, a bibliography and some notes which cover several features of the text and its interpretation. Tiziano Dorandi has used the Nachlaß of Peter Von der Mühll, for the first time in its entirety, to verify and consolidate material that he had previously gathered. This is by far the most detailed and elaborate edition which Diogenes' Lives – a work unique in his kind, and which has had a profound influence on European literature and philosophy – has ever received.Read more
- A new critical edition, presenting a radically improved text
- A long introduction outlines the manuscript tradition of the Lives in late antiquity, the Middle Ages and the Renaissance
- The text is accompanied by a three level apparatus, an index of names and notes covering several features of the text and its interpretation
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: June 2013
- format: Hardback
- isbn: 9780521886819
- length: 952 pages
- dimensions: 222 x 143 x 45 mm
- weight: 1.4kg
- availability: In stock
Table of Contents
Abbreviations and bibliography
Text (books 1–10)
Svbsidivm interpretationis (books 1–10)
Index of proper names.
Sorry, this resource is locked