Mathematical Methods in the Earth and Environmental Sciences
$52.00 ( ) USD
- Author: Adrian Burd, University of Georgia
Adobe eBook Reader
Other available formats:
Looking for an examination copy?
This title is not currently available for examination. However, if you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact firstname.lastname@example.org providing details of the course you are teaching.
The Earth and environmental sciences are becoming progressively more quantitative due to the increased use of mathematical models and new data analysis techniques. This accessible introduction presents an overview of the mathematical methods essential for understanding Earth processes, providing an invaluable resource for students and early career researchers who may have missed (or forgotten) the mathematics they need to succeed as scientists. Topics build gently from basic methods such as calculus to more advanced techniques including linear algebra and differential equations. The practical applications of the mathematical methods to a variety of topics are discussed, ranging from atmospheric science and oceanography to biogeochemistry and geophysics. Including over 530 exercises and end-of-chapter problems, as well as additional computer codes in Python and MATLAB®, this book supports readers in applying appropriate analytical or computational methods to solving real research questions.Read more
- Introduces both analytical and numerical methods, supplying a variety of practical tools for problem solving
- End-of-chapter exercises based around real Earth science problems allow the reader to test their understanding of the methods in context
- Supplemental online computer codes provide additional examples of practical applications of the mathematical methods
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: April 2019
- format: Adobe eBook Reader
- isbn: 9781108696524
- availability: This ISBN is for an eBook version which is distributed on our behalf by a third party.
Table of Contents
1. Estimation and dimensional analysis
2. Derivatives and integrals
3. Series and summations
4. Scalars, vectors, and matrices
6. Ordinary differential equations
7. Vectors and calculus
8. Special functions
9. Fourier series and integral transforms
10. Partial differential equations
Appendix A. Units and dimensions
Appendix B. Tables of useful formulae
Appendix C. Complex numbers
Find resources associated with this titleYour search for '' returned .
Type Name Unlocked * Format Size
This title is supported by one or more locked resources. Access to locked resources is granted exclusively by Cambridge University Press to instructors whose faculty status has been verified. To gain access to locked resources, instructors should sign in to or register for a Cambridge user account.
Please use locked resources responsibly and exercise your professional discretion when choosing how you share these materials with your students. Other instructors may wish to use locked resources for assessment purposes and their usefulness is undermined when the source files (for example, solution manuals or test banks) are shared online or via social networks.
Supplementary resources are subject to copyright. Instructors are permitted to view, print or download these resources for use in their teaching, but may not change them or use them for commercial gain.
If you are having problems accessing these resources please contact email@example.com.
Sorry, this resource is locked