Adobe eBook Reader
Looking for an examination copy?
This title is not currently available for examination. However, if you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact email@example.com providing details of the course you are teaching.
Bioscience ethics facilitates free and accurate information transfer from applied science to applied bioethics. Its major elements are: increased understanding of biological systems, responsible use of technology, and attuning ethnocentric debates to new scientific insights. Pioneered by Irina Pollard in 1994, bioscience ethics has become an internationally recognized discipline, interfacing science and bioethics within professional perspectives such as medical, legal, bio-engineering, and economics. Written for students and professionals alike, the fundamental feature of this book is its breadth, important because bioscience ethics interweaves many diverse subjects in the process of gathering specialist scientific knowledge for bioethical review. It contains chapters which embrace topics affecting human reproduction, end-of-life care and euthanasia, challenge human-dominated ecosystems, and review population growth, economic activity and warfare. A background section describes the evolution of ethical consciousness, explores the future, and proposes that the reworking of ethical boundaries can enhance mature decision-making in harmony with changing technology.Read more
- Irina Pollard coined the term bioscience ethics in 1994, and since then has developed it into an internationally recognized discipline
- Develops the contemporary subject of bioscience ethics and provides a welcome, secular source of information, bridging the gap between applied science and applied ethics
- Principles of bioscience ethics for discussion at the end of each chapter; allows the reader to monitor their understanding of the material, and promotes inter-group exchanges
Reviews & endorsements
'… informative, accomplished, and illustrated where appropriate. Irina Pollard has created a highly factual and incredibly diverse book which should be of interest to a very broad readership.' The Biologist
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: July 2009
- format: Adobe eBook Reader
- isbn: 9780511537134
- contains: 15 b/w illus.
- availability: This ISBN is for an eBook version which is distributed on our behalf by a third party.
Table of Contents
1. Human origins, natural selection and the evolution of ethics
2. Sex determination, brain sex and sexual behaviour
3. Inappropriate lifestyle and congenital disability in children: basic principles of growth, toxicology, teratogenesis and mutagenesis
4. Substance abuse and parenthood: biological mechanisms - bioethical responsibilities
5. Fertility awareness: the ovulatory method of birth control, aging gametes and congenital malformation in children
6. Understanding child abuse and its biological consequences
7. The state of wellbeing: basic principles, coping strategies and individual mastery
8. The state of wellbeing: on the end of life care and euthanasia
9. Current reproductive technologies: achievements and desired goals
10. The recombinant DNA technologies
11. Stem cells, nuclear transfer and cloning technology
12. Human dominated ecosystems: re-evaluating environmental priorities
13. Human dominated ecosystems: reclaiming the future for following generations
14. Human dominated ecosystems: warfare = fitness enhancement or losing strategy?
15. Human dominated ecosystems: reworking bioethical frontiers.
Instructors have used or reviewed this title for the following courses
- Cognitive Development in Children
- Ethics in Biology Honors Course
- Fundamentals of Genetics
- Research Ethics
- Science Communication & Ethics (Three Seas Program)
- Scientific Ethics
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email firstname.lastname@example.orgRegister Sign in