Bridge to Success
The UAE ministry approached the Education Reform team to partner on their Bridge to Success project, which aimed to improve students’ English to reach CEFR B2 level by Grade 12, in line with the UAE Vision National Agenda 2021.
This involved both contextualising existing Cambridge content and creating new resources that reflected the most up-to-date approaches and embedded core 21st century competencies into the learning of English as a second language.
We piloted materials and assessed the use of these resources. Based on this research, we then:
- Adapted eight grades, including textbooks, workbooks and teacher’s guides
- Custom published for Grades 1, 10 and 11
- Collaborated with the Ministry team to write and produce a textbook, teacher’s book and workbook for Grade 12
The Ministry also identified a need for professional development training to help teachers adopt more modern teaching methods. To this end, we conducted three in-country training workshops a year, ranging in size from 200 lead teachers to 1,200 attendees. These workshops:
- Provided a sustainable training programme for lead teachers, focusing on pedagogy such as using the new learning resources, active learning, and assessment for learning
- Provided specialised training for Ministry staff and selected teachers in topics such as content and language integrated learning (CLIL), change management, and coaching and mentoring
Since implementing Bridge to Success, we have begun collaborating with the Ministry on a further suite of English resources for the advanced Science and Mathematics programme.