Sir John Marshall (1876–1958) was a British archaeologist who held the position of Director-General of the Archaeological Survey of India from 1902 to 1928. Marshall was instrumental in the development of archaeology in the Indian subcontinent and beyond, leading two major excavations at Taxila and at Mohenjo-daro. First published in 1951, this three-volume set presents a detailed account of the discoveries made during the Taxila excavation, which lasted from 1913 until 1934. The first volume provides information on structural remains; the second volume is based around smaller antiquities; the third volume contains a large number of illustrative plates. This is a fascinating series of texts that will be of value to anyone with an interest in Taxila and archaeology.
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: July 2013
- format: Multiple copy pack
- isbn: 9781107615809
- length: 1208 pages
- dimensions: 279 x 216 x 66 mm
- weight: 2.77kg
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
Volume 1: List of text-figures
List of tables
List of abbreviations
3. Bhir mound
5. Sirkap (continued)
6. Sirkap (continued)
7. Sirkap: Mahal
9. Temple of Jandial
10. The Dharmarājikā
11. The Dharmarājikā (continued)
12. Report on the human remains from the Dharmarājikā
13. Khāder Mohrā, Akhauri, etc.
16. Stūpas of Kunāla and Ghai
17. Mounds a and b at Jandiāl
18. Mohrā Morādu
22. Bhamāla. Volume 2: List of stratigraphical charts and tables
List of tables showing distribution of objects in Sirkap
Tables of analysis
24. Terra-cotta and clay objects
25. Stone objects
26. Stucco sculptures
27. Iron objects (including steel)
28. Copper, bronze and lead objects
30. Gold and silver jewellery
31. Finger-rings and gems
32. Bone and ivory objects
33. Shell objects
34. Seals and sealings
36. Stone sculptures H. Hargreaves
39. Rare and unique coins, other than punch-marked, found at Taxila between 1912 and 1934
40. Two hoards of silver punch-marked coins found in the Bhir mound at Taxila E. H. C. Walsh
Notes on the punch-marked, local Taxilian and Greek coins John Allan
Index. Volume 3: Plates.
Find resources associated with this titleYour search for '' returned .
Type Name Unlocked * Format Size
This title is supported by one or more locked resources. Access to locked resources is granted exclusively by Cambridge University Press to lecturers whose faculty status has been verified. To gain access to locked resources, lecturers should sign in to or register for a Cambridge user account.
Please use locked resources responsibly and exercise your professional discretion when choosing how you share these materials with your students. Other lecturers may wish to use locked resources for assessment purposes and their usefulness is undermined when the source files (for example, solution manuals or test banks) are shared online or via social networks.
Supplementary resources are subject to copyright. Lecturers are permitted to view, print or download these resources for use in their teaching, but may not change them or use them for commercial gain.
If you are having problems accessing these resources please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sorry, this resource is locked