Ramsey Abbey, Cambridgeshire, was founded in 969 and rapidly became of one the richest and most important Benedictine houses in the country. It was famous for its school and library, and a thriving market town grew up around it, despite its isolated position in the Fens. The cartulary contains a range of legal, financial and ecclesiastical documents dating from 974 to 1436, although the greater part was compiled in the fourteenth century. It is particularly important for the study of manorial and economic history (and the abbey's twelfth-century chronicle is also reissued in this series). This three-volume edition was published between 1884 and 1893. Volume 2 contains documents 230–509, although they are not arranged chronologically. They include extensive Latin rent rolls, as the abbey held property throughout East Anglia and in London, and Anglo-Saxon charters of Edward the Confessor. English side-notes to the text are provided throughout.
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: November 2012
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9781108052191
- length: 452 pages
- dimensions: 229 x 152 x 26 mm
- weight: 0.66kg
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
Ramsey cartulary, items CCXXX–DX.
Sorry, this resource is locked