Originally published in 1930, this book contains a selection of English poetry from the previous 100 years. Brief biographies are given for each of the poets and an index of first lines is also included. This book will be of value to anyone with an interest in English poetry.
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: March 2015
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9781107494428
- length: 192 pages
- dimensions: 178 x 110 x 10 mm
- weight: 0.16kg
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
1. 'Rondeau' James Henry Leight Hunt
2. 'The war-song of Dinas Vawr' Thomas Love Peacock
3. 'To-day' Thomas Carlyle
4. 'The battle of Naseby' Thomas Babington Macaulay
5. 'The song of Western man' Robert Stephen Hawker
6. 'Brahma' Ralph Waldo Emerson
7. (1) From Sonnets from the Portuguese: 'How do I love thee?'
(2) 'A musical instrument' Elizabeth Barrett Browning
8. From Tales of a Wayside Inn: 'The Theologian's Tale - Torquemada' Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
9. 'To Helen' Edgar Allan Poe
10. 'Rubádiyát of Omar Khayyám of Naishápúr' Edward Fitzgerald
11. (1) 'The lady of Shalott'
(2) 'The lotos-easters: Choric song'
(4) 'Break, break, break'
(5) From The Princess: 'Tears, idle tears'
'Now sleeps the crimson petal'
(6) From In Memoriam
(7) From The Ancient Sage
(8) 'Crossing the bar' Alfred Tennyson
12. 'The chambered Nautilus' Oliver Wendell Holmes
13. (1) 'Johannes Agricola in meditation'
(2) 'From Pippa Passes
(3) 'The lost leader'
(4) From Home-Thoughts, from Abroad
(5) From Fra Lippo-Lippi
(6) 'Prospice' Robert Browning
14. 'No coward soul is mine' Emily Browning
15. 'Say not, the struggle nought availeth' Arthur Hugh Clough
16. (1) 'Airly beacon'
(2) 'Ode to the North-East wind' Charles Kingsley
17. 'The high tide on the coast of Lincolnshire' Jean Ingelow
18. (1) From Empedocles on Etna
(3) From Sohrab and Rustum
(4) 'The scholar-gipsy' Matthew Arnold
19. 'Mimnermus in church' William Johnson Cory
20. 'Magna est vetitas' Coventry Kersey Dighton Patmore
21. From The Choice Dante Gabriel Rossetti
22. (1) 'Song'
(2) 'A birthday'
(3) 'Up-hill' Christina Georgina Rossetti
23. 'Song' Richard Watson Dixon
24. From The City of Dreadful Night James Thomson
25. 'The haystack in the floods' William Morris
26. (1) From Atalanta in Calydon: 'When the hounds of spring'
(2) 'The garden of Prosperine' Algernon Charles Swinburne
27. 'A ballad to Queen Elizabeth of the Spanish armada' Henry Austin Dobson
28. (1) 'Friends beyond'
(2) 'Lausanne. In Gibbon's old garden'
(3) 'In time of 'The breaking of nations''
(6) From the 'After scene' of The Dynasts Thomas Hardy
29. 'Ode' Arthur William Edgar O'Shaugnessy
30. 'Pied beauty' Gerald Manley Hopkins
31. 'The odyssey' Andrew Lang
32. 'So sweet love seemed' Robert Seymour Bridges
33. 'Renouncement' Alice Christina Meynell
34. 'Out of the night that covers me' William Ernest Henley
35. (1) 'Sing me a song of a lad that is gone'
(2) 'Requiem' Robert Louis Stevenson
36. 'The crescent moon' William (Fiona Macleod) Sharp
37. (1) From Wordsworth' Grave
(3) The Inexorable Law: 'We too shall pass' William Watson
38. (1) 'The hound of heaven'
(2) 'The kingdom of God' Francis Thompson
39. 'Epitaph on an army of mercenaries' Alfred Edward Housman
40. 'To William Shakespeare' Owen Seaman
41. (1) 'Drake's drum'
(2) 'The fighting Téméraire' Henry John Newbolt
42. 'Tam i' the kirk' Violet Jacob
43. The Land: 'When Julius Fabricius'
(2) 'Mine sweepers' Rudyard Kipling
44. 'The lake isle of Innisfree' William Butler Yeats
45. 'Vitae summa brevis spem nos vetat incohare longam' Ernest Dowson
46. Unknown: 'You who had worked in perfect ways' John Galsworthy
47. (1) From Paolo and Francesca: Act I and Act IV
(2) 'Shakespeare Stephen Phillips
48. For the Fallen: 'With proud thanksgiving' Laurence Binyon
49. 'The bells of heaven' Ralph Hodgson
50. (1) 'Nod'
(2) 'Off the ground'
(3) 'Silver' Walter de la Mare
51. (1) 'Calvary-talk'
(2) From King Lear's Wife: 'Goneril's lullaby' Gordon Bottomley
52. 'The donkey' Gilbert Keith Chesterton
53. 'The quietist' Rachel Annand Taylor
54. (1) 'Cargoes'
(3) From Fragments
(4) From The Widow in the Bye Street John Masefield
55. 'Adlestrop' Philip Edward Thomas
56. 'Farewell to beau
Sorry, this resource is locked