The Press has a policy on sustainable procurement which minimises any negative impacts from trading activities on the environment and local communities.
The raw materials that the Press uses for its products should be derived from legal and sustainable sources, and sets the standards in the use of materials, especially with respect to board and paper for the books it publishes. This involves working with entities such as the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC), Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC) and Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of World Fauna and Flora (CITES) to avoid negative environmental impacts.
Cambridge University Press also complies with the European Union's Timber Regulations. Approximately 75 per cent of Cambridge books and journals only contain paper and board that is either FSC or PEFC certified. For the remaining 25 per cent, it is the policy of the Press to only buy paper and board from PREPS rated sources, which is the way it ensures only sustainable timber products are used.
To find out more, read the Press's Sustainable Procurement Policy here.