Other available formats:
Looking for an inspection copy?
This title is not currently available for inspection. However, if you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an inspection copy. To register your interest please contact firstname.lastname@example.org providing details of the course you are teaching.
This is the second volume of the first fully-fledged English translation of the works of Archimedes - antiquity's greatest scientist and one of the most important scientific figures in history. It covers On Spirals and is based on a reconsideration of the Greek text and diagrams, now made possible through new discoveries from the Archimedes Palimpsest. On Spirals is one of Archimedes' most dazzling geometrical tours de force, suggesting a manner of 'squaring the circle' and, along the way, introducing the attractive geometrical object of the spiral. The form of argument, no less than the results themselves, is striking, and Reviel Netz contributes extensive and insightful comments that focus on Archimedes' scientific style, making this volume indispensable for scholars of classics and the history of science, and of great interest for the scientists and mathematicians of today.Read more
- The first full English translation of the works of Archimedes, based on recent improvements in our knowledge of the text as a result of the Archimedes Palimpsest
- This second volume covers Archimedes' thinking on the spiral, one of his most striking arguments
- The detailed commentary offers an interpretation of Archimedes' scientific style and opens up new ways of thinking about the history of mathematics
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: May 2017
- format: Hardback
- isbn: 9780521661454
- length: 212 pages
- dimensions: 253 x 180 x 17 mm
- weight: 0.56kg
- contains: 41 b/w illus. 5 tables
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
Translation and commentary: On Spirals
Appendix: Pappus' collection IV.21-25
Scholia to On Spirals.
Sorry, this resource is locked