Integrating Macrostrat and Rockd into Undergraduate Earth Science Teaching
Part of Elements of Paleontology
- Phoebe A. Cohen, Williams College, Massachusetts
- Rowan Lockwood, College of William and Mary, Virginia
- Shanan Peters, University of Wisconsin, Madison
Adobe eBook Reader
Other available formats:
Looking for an evaluation copy?
This title is not currently available for evaluation. However, if you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an evaluation copy. To register your interest please contact email@example.com providing details of the course you are teaching.
New online resources are opening doors for education and outreach in the Earth sciences. One of the most innovative online earth science portals is Macrostrat and its mobile client Rockd - an interface that combines geolocated geological maps with stratigraphic information, lithological data, and crowd-sourced images and descriptions of outcrops. These tools provide a unique educational opportunity for students to interact with primary geological data, create connections between local outcrops and global patterns, and make new field observations. Rockd incorporates an aspect of social media to its platform, which creates a sense of community for users. This Element outlines these resources, gives instructions on how to use them, and provides examples of how to integrate these resources into a variety of paleontology and earth science courses.
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: January 2019
- format: Adobe eBook Reader
- isbn: 9781108614818
- contains: 5 colour illus.
- availability: This ISBN is for an eBook version which is distributed on our behalf by a third party.
Table of Contents
2. How to use Macrostrat and Rockd
3. Educational integration - examples and ideas
4. Student feedback and conclusions.
Sorry, this resource is locked