Sophocles: Oedipus the King
- Editor and Translator: P. J. Finglass, University of Bristol
Adobe eBook Reader
Other available formats:
Looking for an inspection copy?
This title is not currently available for inspection. However, if you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an inspection copy. To register your interest please contact firstname.lastname@example.org providing details of the course you are teaching.
For centuries the myth of Oedipus, the man who unwittingly killed his father and married his mother, has exerted a powerful hold on the human imagination; but no retelling of that myth has ever come close, in passion, drama, and menace to the one that we find in Sophocles' Oedipus the King. This new full-scale edition of that classic play - the first in any language since 1883 - offers a freshly constituted text based on consultation of manuscripts ancient and mediaeval. The introduction explores the play's dating and production, its creative engagement with pre-Sophoclean versions, its major themes, and its reception during antiquity. The commentary offers a detailed analysis, line by line and scene by scene, of the play's language, staging, and dramatic impact. The translation incorporated into the commentary ensures that the book will be accessible to all readers interested in what is arguably the greatest Greek tragedy of all.Read more
- Provides the first full-scale analysis since the nineteenth century of Sophocles' masterpiece
- Presents a new edition of the Greek text alongside a much more accurate critical apparatus and a full scholarly translation
- Includes a detailed introduction and commentary which deal with literary, dramatic, textual, and metrical approaches to the play, as well as with its reception in antiquity
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: March 2018
- format: Adobe eBook Reader
- isbn: 9781108321709
- availability: This ISBN is for an eBook version which is distributed on our behalf by a third party.
Table of Contents
Text and critical apparatus
Sorry, this resource is locked