An Introduction to Swaminarayan Hinduism
$28.00 ( ) USD
Part of Introduction to Religion
- Author: Raymond Brady Williams, Wabash College, Indiana
Adobe eBook Reader
Looking for an examination copy?
This title is not currently available for examination. However, if you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact email@example.com providing details of the course you are teaching.
An Introduction to Swaminarayan Hinduism, third edition, offers a comprehensive study of a contemporary form of Hinduism. Begun as a revival and reform movement in India 200 years ago, it has now become one of the fastest growing and most prominent forms of Hinduism. The Swaminarayan Hindu transnational network of temples and institutions is expanding in India, East Africa, the UK, USA, Australasia, and in other African and Asian cities. The devotion, rituals, and discipline taught by its founder, Sahajanand Swami (1781–1830) and elaborated by current leaders in major festivals, diverse media, and over the Internet, help preserve ethnic and religious identity in many modern cultural and political contexts. Swaminarayan Hinduism, here described through its history, divisions, leaders, theology and practices, provides valuable case studies of contemporary Hinduism, religion, migrants, and transnationalism. This new edition includes up-to-date information about growth, geographic expansion, leadership transitions, and impact of Swaminarayan institutions in India and abroad.Read more
- Includes the history, developments, theology, practices and current status of the major divisions within Swaminarayan Hinduism
- Traces new research and responds to the expansion of Swaminarayan Hinduism as the most prominent form of Hinduism
- Provides a valuable case study for recent developments in migration studies, the role of religion in public and political affairs, integration of new immigrants in several countries, and the impact of transnational social media
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Edition: 3rd Edition
- Date Published: September 2018
- format: Adobe eBook Reader
- isbn: 9781108373029
- availability: This ISBN is for an eBook version which is distributed on our behalf by a third party.
Table of Contents
1. The beginnings of Swaminarayan Hinduism
2. Growth, administration, and schism
3. The structure of Swaminarayan theology
4. The sacred world
5. Dharma: the disciplined life
6. The sacred thread: transmission of tradition
7. Transnational growth of Swaminarayan Hinduism.
Sorry, this resource is locked