Inflation and String Theory
The past two decades have seen transformative advances in cosmology and string theory. Observations of the cosmic microwave background have revealed strong evidence for inflationary expansion in the very early universe, while new insights about compactifications of string theory have led to a deeper understanding of inflation in a framework that unifies quantum mechanics and general relativity. Written by two of the leading researchers in the field, this complete and accessible volume provides a modern treatment of inflationary cosmology and its connections to string theory and elementary particle theory. After an up-to-date experimental summary, the authors present the foundations of effective field theory, string theory, and string compactifications, setting the stage for a detailed examination of models of inflation in string theory. Three appendices contain background material in geometry and cosmological perturbation theory, making this a self-contained resource for graduate students and researchers in string theory, cosmology, and related fields.Read more
- Provides a complete and unified treatment, addressing everything the reader needs to know in order to understand this broad and complex subject
- The up-to-date experimental background allows readers to focus on current, rather than historic, topics and problems
- A richly detailed presentation allows readers to quickly develop a working knowledge of the subject, and follow calculations
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: May 2015
- format: Adobe eBook Reader
- isbn: 9781316237182
- contains: 64 b/w illus.
- availability: This ISBN is for an eBook version which is distributed on our behalf by a third party.
Table of Contents
1. Inflation: theory and observations
2. Inflation in effective field theory
3. Elements of string theory
4. What is string inflation?
5. Examples of string inflation
6. Conclusions and outlook
Appendix A. Mathematical preliminaries
Appendix B. The effective theory of inflation
Appendix C. Primordial perturbations from inflation.
Sorry, this resource is locked