Galen: Works on Human Nature
Volume 1. Mixtures (De Temperamentis)
$100.00 ( ) USD
Part of Cambridge Galen Translations
- Editors and translators:
- P. N. Singer, Birkbeck, University of London
- Philip J. van der Eijk, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
Adobe eBook Reader
Other available formats:
Looking for an examination copy?
This title is not currently available for examination. However, if you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact email@example.com providing details of the course you are teaching.
Mixtures is of central importance for Galen's views on the human body. It presents his influential typology of the human organism according to nine mixtures (or 'temperaments') of hot, cold, dry and wet. It also develops Galen's ideal of the 'well-tempered' person, whose perfect balance ensures excellent performance both physically and psychologically. Mixtures teaches the aspiring doctor how to assess the patient's mixture by training one's sense of touch and by a sophisticated use of diagnostic indicators. It presents a therapeutic regime based on the interaction between foods, drinks, drugs and the body's mixture. Mixtures is a work of natural philosophy as well as medicine. It acknowledges Aristotle's profound influence whilst engaging with Hippocratic ideas on health and nutrition, and with Stoic, Pneumatist and Peripatetic physics. It appears here in a new translation, with generous annotation, introduction and glossaries elucidating the argument and setting the work in its intellectual context.Read more
- This book is a new translation and interpretation of one of the most important and influential works of Galen
- Provides generous introductory and elucidatory material to understand the work
- Provides detailed indices and glossaries
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: January 2019
- format: Adobe eBook Reader
- isbn: 9781108599207
- contains: 2 b/w illus.
- availability: This ISBN is for an eBook version which is distributed on our behalf by a third party.
Table of Contents
Mixtures: Book One
List of textual departures from Helmreich's edition
List of titles and abbreviations of Galen's works.
Sorry, this resource is locked