Other available formats:
Looking for an examination copy?
This title is not currently available for examination. However, if you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact firstname.lastname@example.org providing details of the course you are teaching.
Published to coincide with the Fourth United Nations Environmental Assembly, the Summary for Policymakers of the sixth Global Environment Outlook provides an evidence-based source of environmental information to help policymakers in government, local authorities and businesses achieve the UN's Sustainable Development Goals. Since the first edition in 1997, there have been many examples of environmental improvement, especially where problems have been well identified, manageable, and where regulatory and technological solutions have been readily available. Nevertheless, the overall condition of the global environment has deteriorated and urgent action, involving ambitious and effective policies, is necessary to arrest and reverse this situation. This Summary for Policymakers answers key policy questions by assessing the drivers of environmental change, the scale and effectiveness of policy responses, potential pathways for achieving sustainability goals in an increasingly complex world, and the data and information that can support the decision-making process. Also available as Open Access on Cambridge Core.Read more
- Compiled under the auspices of a high-level intergovernmental and stakeholder advisory group comprising 25-30 government representatives from all six UN Environment regions as well as 8-10 key stakeholders
- Provides an analysis of global, regional and national policy responses
- Answers key question such as: is the current policy response enough? What does a sustainable future look like? What are the emerging issues and megatrends? What are the possible pathways to achieving Agenda 2030 and other environmental goals?
- This title is also available as Gold Open Access on Cambridge Core
Reviews & endorsements
‘The sixth Global Environment Outlook is an essential check-up for our planet. Like any good medical examination, there is a clear prognosis of what will happen if we continue with business as usual and a set of recommended actions to put things right. GEO-6 details both the perils of delaying action and the opportunities that exist to make sustainable development a reality.' António Guterres, Secretary-General of the United Nations
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Publication planned for: September 2019
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9781108707688
- length: 24 pages
- dimensions: 279 x 216 x 3 mm
- weight: 0.1kg
- availability: Not yet published - available from September 2019
Table of Contents
1. What is the global environmental outlook?
2. What is happening to our environment and how have we responded?
3. Effectiveness of environmental policies
4. Changing the path we are on
5. Knowledge for action
Sorry, this resource is locked