A History of African Linguistics
$88.00 ( ) USD
- Editor: H. Ekkehard Wolff, Universität Leipzig
Adobe eBook Reader
Other available formats:
Looking for an examination copy?
This title is not currently available for examination. However, if you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact email@example.com providing details of the course you are teaching.
Bringing together a team of leading scholars, this volume forms the first global history of African linguistics as an autonomous academic discipline, covering Africa, America, Asia, Australia, and Europe. Defining African linguistics, the volume describes its emergence from a 'colonial science' at the turn of the twentieth century in Europe, where it was first established mainly in academic institutions of former colonial powers. Its riddance from the 'colonial project' is traced, following its 'de-colonialisation' and subsequent spread from imperialist Europe across all inhabited continents, with particular reference to its academic establishment in the various regions of Africa. Providing inside views of African linguistic research and its ramifications over time, active researchers in its various subfields present highly informative accounts of current and past research priorities and achievements. The twenty-six authors are themselves representatives of the various regions of both the world and Africa, in which African linguistics has become entrenched in academic institutions.Read more
- Follows the spread of African linguistics across all inhabited continents, with particular focus on its academic establishment in the various regions of (post-) colonial Africa
- Informs readers about the practical and linguistic study of African languages beyond the former European colonial powers
- No other published account of the global history of African linguistics exists, since its beginnings in the peak period of European colonialism 130 years ago
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: June 2019
- format: Adobe eBook Reader
- isbn: 9781108287210
- contains: 4 b/w illus. 3 tables
- availability: This ISBN is for an eBook version which is distributed on our behalf by a third party.
Table of Contents
1. The history of African linguistics H. Ekkehard Wolff
2. Western Europe: African linguistics and the colonial project Roland Kießling
3. African linguistics in Central and Eastern Europe, and in the Nordic countries Roland Kießling, Nina Pawlak, Alexander Zheltov and Arvi Hurskainen
4. African linguistics in North Africa Abderrahman el Aissati and Yamina el Kirat el Allame
5. African linguistics in North-Eastern Africa Ronny Meyer, Maria Bulakh, Angelika Jakobi, Marie-Claude Simeone-Senelle, Wolbert Smidt and Rainer Voigt
6. African linguistics in Southern Africa Sonja E. Bosch and Inge M. Kosch
7. African linguistics in Eastern Africa Amani Lusekelo
8. African linguistics in official English-speaking West Africa Bruce Connell and Akinbiyi Akinlabi
9. African linguistics in official French-speaking West and Central Africa Philip Ngessimo Mathe Mutaka
10. African linguistics in official Portuguese- and Spanish-speaking Africa Anne-Maria Fehn
11. African linguistics in the Americas G. Tucker Childs and Margarida Petter
12. African linguistics in Asia and Australia Shigeki Kaji, Sun Xiaomeng, Yang Chul-Joon and John Hajek.
Sorry, this resource is locked