The Cambridge Dictionary of Linguistics
$30.00 ( ) USD
Adobe eBook Reader
Looking for an examination copy?
This title is not currently available for examination. However, if you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact email@example.com providing details of the course you are teaching.
The Cambridge Dictionary of Linguistics provides concise and clear definitions of all the terms any undergraduate or graduate student is likely to encounter in the study of linguistics and English language or in other degrees involving linguistics, such as modern languages, media studies and translation. lt covers the key areas of syntax, morphology, phonology, phonetics, semantics and pragmatics but also contains terms from discourse analysis, stylistics, historical linguistics, sociolinguistics, psycholinguistics, computational linguistics and corpus linguistics. It provides entries for 246 languages, including 'major' languages and languages regularly mentioned in research papers and textbooks. Features include cross-referencing between entries and extended entries on some terms. Where appropriate, entries contain illustrative examples from English and other languages and many provide etymologies bringing out the metaphors lying behind the technical terms. Also available is an electronic version of the dictionary which includes 'clickable' cross-referencing.Read more
- Definitions are provided in clear and non-technical language and there are numerous examples and diagrams to clarify the text
- Features include cross-referencing between entries and extended entries on some terms
- An electronic version of the dictionary is available which includes 'clickable' cross-referencing
Reviews & endorsements
"… an impressive work which could become the first port of call for any beginning linguistics student."
Val Hamilton, Reference Reviews
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: April 2014
- format: Adobe eBook Reader
- isbn: 9781316027523
- contains: 37 b/w illus. 6 tables
- availability: This ISBN is for an eBook version which is distributed on our behalf by a third party.
Table of Contents
List of abbreviations
Phonetic symbols for English
Sorry, this resource is locked