James M. Wilce's new textbook introduces students to the study of language as a tool in anthropology. Solidly positioned in linguistic anthropology, it is the first textbook to combine clear explanations of language and linguistic structure with current anthropological theory. It features a range of study aids, including chapter summaries, learning objectives, figures, exercises, key terms and suggestions for further reading, to guide student understanding. The complete glossary includes both anthropological and linguist terminology. An Appendix features material on phonetics and phonetic representation. Accompanying online resources include a test bank with answers, useful links, an instructor's manual, and a sign language case study. Covering an extensive range of topics not found in existing textbooks, including semiotics and the evolution of animal and human communication, this book is an essential resource for introductory courses on language and culture, communication and culture, and linguistic anthropology.Read more
- Covers an extensive range of topics not found in existing textbooks, including the most up-to-date contemporary anthropological theory, semiotics and the evolution of animal and human communication
- Ample pedagogical features include learning objectives, summaries, exercises, questions, key terms and further reading, to guide student understanding
- Accompanying online resources include a test bank with answers, instructor's manual, useful links, and a sign language case study
Reviews & endorsements
'Culture and Communication is an excellent introduction to the contemporary focus in linguistic anthropology on semiotic approaches to language and other human sign systems. Among the many pedagogical features the exercises are particularly outstanding.' Susan U. Philips, University of ArizonaSee more reviews
'James Wilce's book is a captivating introduction to linguistic anthropology, which covers an impressive range of theoretical ground. It is written in a precise, clear, and highly personal language that students will appreciate and enjoy.' Olga Solomon, University of Southern California
'A superb introduction to contemporary linguistic anthropology - authoritative, wide-ranging, and engagingly written, with abundant, well-designed aids for teaching and learning at the beginning and end of each chapter.' Alan Rumsey, Australian National University
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: June 2017
- format: Adobe eBook Reader
- isbn: 9781108158787
- contains: 87 b/w illus. 4 tables
- availability: This ISBN is for an eBook version which is distributed on our behalf by a third party.
Table of Contents
List of figures
List of tables
1. Society, culture, and communication
2. What is communication?
3. Semiotics and sign types
4. The structure of language
5. Culture, society, communication, and language evolving
6. Diverse languages and perspectives: communication, expression, and mind
7. Researching communication and culture as a linguistic anthropologist
8. Human social semiotics
9. The communicative enactment and transmission of society and culture
10. Cultures of performance and the performance of culture
11. Globalization, media, and emotion talk
12. Applying linguistic anthropology
Appendix. IPA and other specialized marks
Find resources associated with this titleYour search for '' returned .
Type Name Unlocked * Format Size
*This title has one or more locked files and access is given only to lecturers adopting the textbook for their class. We need to enforce this strictly so that solutions are not made available to students. To gain access to locked resources you either need first to sign in or register for an account.
These resources are provided free of charge by Cambridge University Press with permission of the author of the corresponding work, but are subject to copyright. You are permitted to view, print and download these resources for your own personal use only, provided any copyright lines on the resources are not removed or altered in any way. Any other use, including but not limited to distribution of the resources in modified form, or via electronic or other media, is strictly prohibited unless you have permission from the author of the corresponding work and provided you give appropriate acknowledgement of the source.
If you are having problems accessing these resources please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.comRegister Sign in