Text and Cases in Cross-Border Management
- Christopher A. Bartlett, Harvard University, Massachusetts
- Paul W. Beamish, University of Western Ontario
Transnational Management provides an integrated conceptual framework to guide students and instructors through the challenges facing today's multinational enterprises. Through text narrative and cases, the authors skilfully examine the development of strategy, organizational capabilities, and management roles and responsibilities for operating in the global economy. The key concepts are developed in eight chapters that are supplemented by carefully selected practical case studies from world-leading case writers. All chapters have been revised and updated for this eighth edition to reflect the latest thinking in transnational management while retaining the book's strong integrated conceptual framework. Ten new cases have been added, and four others updated. A full range of online support materials are available, including detailed case teaching notes, almost 200 PowerPoint slides, and a test bank. Suitable for MBA, executive education and senior undergraduate students studying international management, international business or global strategy courses, Transnational Management offers a uniquely global perspective on the subject.Read more
- An integrated research-based conceptual framework links strategy, organization and management to help students develop a clear and consistent view of the integrated agenda of transnational management
- Conceptual frameworks and theoretical models are linked to practical application through carefully selected and relevant practical case materials
- Concepts and cases represent the strategic, organizational and management challenges of firms in both developed and developing countries, providing students with a geocentric rather than ethnocentric world perspective
Reviews & endorsements
'If I were an MBA student studying anywhere in the world this is the book I would want as the textbook for my global strategy course. As a faculty member, this is the book I would pick for my case-based global strategic management course. Why? It's a book in its 8th edition written by world-class experts on the topic. A book written with succinct but comprehensive introductions to cases that are complex and true-to-life. A book that discussed strategies and structures of twenty-first century multinationals: parents, subsidiaries and their alliance partners. A book that covers twenty-first-century issues such as sustainability, corruption, and emerging economy multinationals. In Transnational Management, managers of multinationals are engaged in games of global chess, using integration, responsiveness and worldwide learning to engineer long-run competitive advantage. This is the way that global strategy should be taught. Enjoy!' Lorraine Eden, Texas A & M University, President, Academy of International BusinessSee more reviews
'I have been using Transnational Management in my MBA International Competitive Strategy Courses for over ten years. Since then I have not been able to find another text which compares with the relevance, applicability, and readability of this one. I eagerly await the publication of each new edition as each one is updated with fresh content and new cases. The latest edition does not disappoint and I cannot wait to try it in my next term.' P. Roberto Garcia, Young-Jin Kim Distinguished Clinical Professor of International Business Director, Indiana University
'In this 8th edition, the authors have maintained the unique pedagogic philosophy that has been a hallmark of this special book for so long. With a full suite of companion teaching and learning materials, the three parts of the book, strategic imperatives, the organizational challenge and managerial implications have captured the tensions that continue to dominate cross-border management. Contemporaneity again is maintained after its successful twenty-five year dominance in this field as emerging issues continue to transpire. Practitioners alongside students and researchers will find answers to their cross-border management puzzles in this book. This remains an outstanding book.' Peter W. Liesch , University of Queensland
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Edition: 8th Edition
- Date Published: February 2018
- format: Adobe eBook Reader
- isbn: 9781108527446
- availability: This ISBN is for an eBook version which is distributed on our behalf by a third party.
Table of Contents
1. Expanding abroad: motivations, means and mentalities
2. Understanding the international context: responding to conflicting environmental forces
3. Developing transitional strategies: building layers of competitive advantage
4. Developing a transitional organization: managing integration, responsiveness, and flexibility
5. Creating worldwide innovation and learning: exploiting cross-border knowledge management
6. Engaging in cross-border collaboration: managing across corporate boundaries
7. Building new management capabilities: key to effective implementation
8. Shaping the transnational future: defining an evolving global role.
Find resources associated with this titleYour search for '' returned .
Type Name Unlocked * Format Size
This title is supported by one or more locked resources. Access to locked resources is granted exclusively by Cambridge University Press to lecturers whose faculty status has been verified. To gain access to locked resources, lecturers should sign in to or register for a Cambridge user account.
Please use locked resources responsibly and exercise your professional discretion when choosing how you share these materials with your students. Other lecturers may wish to use locked resources for assessment purposes and their usefulness is undermined when the source files (for example, solution manuals or test banks) are shared online or via social networks.
Supplementary resources are subject to copyright. Lecturers are permitted to view, print or download these resources for use in their teaching, but may not change them or use them for commercial gain.
If you are having problems accessing these resources please contact email@example.com.
Sorry, this resource is locked