Looking for an examination copy?
This title is not currently available for examination. However, if you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact firstname.lastname@example.org providing details of the course you are teaching.
Today a general mood of pessimism surrounds Western efforts to strengthen elections and democracy abroad. If elections are often deeply flawed or even broken in many countries around the world, can anything be done to fix them? To counter the prevailing ethos, Pippa Norris presents new evidence for why programs of international electoral assistance work. She evaluates the effectiveness of several practical remedies, including efforts designed to reform electoral laws, strengthen women's representation, build effective electoral management bodies, promote balanced campaign communications, regulate political money, and improve voter registration. Pippa Norris argues that it would be a tragedy to undermine progress by withdrawing from international engagement. Instead, the international community needs to learn the lessons of what works best to strengthen electoral integrity, to focus activities and resources upon the most effective programs, and to innovate after a quarter century of efforts to strengthen electoral integrity.Read more
- Compares the strengths and weaknesses of agencies and programs with the threats and opportunities for electoral assistance
- The theory is tested empirically with new data using worldwide comparisons
- The trilogy establishes a new research agenda in comparative politics, development studies, electoral studies, and voting behavior
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: August 2017
- format: Hardback
- isbn: 9781107052604
- length: 390 pages
- dimensions: 236 x 158 x 27 mm
- weight: 0.66kg
- contains: 42 b/w illus. 15 tables
- availability: In stock
Table of Contents
Part I. Introduction: Does Electoral Assistance Work?:
1. The pragmatic case for electoral assistance
Part II. Evaluating Electoral Assistance:
2. What is electoral assistance?
3. Evaluating effectiveness
4. Threats and opportunities facing electoral assistance
Part III. The Strengths and Weaknesses of Electoral Assistance Programs:
5. Reforming electoral laws
6. Strengthening women's representation
7. Supporting independent media
8. Regulating political finance
9. Improving voter registration
Part IV. Conclusions: Lessons Learned:
10. Making electoral assistance work better.
Sorry, this resource is locked