$104.00 ( ) USD
Adobe eBook Reader
Other available formats:
Looking for an examination copy?
This title is not currently available for examination. However, if you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact email@example.com providing details of the course you are teaching.
John Wyclif is known for translating the Vulgate Bible into English, and for arguing for the royal divestment of the church, the reduction of papal power and the elimination of the friars and against the doctrine of transubstantiation. His thought catalyzed the Lollard movement in England and provided an ideology for the Hussite revolution in Bohemia. Wyclif's Trialogus discusses divine power and knowledge, creation, virtues and vices, the Incarnation, redemption and the sacraments. It consists of a three-way conversation, which Wyclif wrote to familiarize priests and layfolk with the complex issues underlying Christian doctrine, and begins with formal philosophical theology, which moves into moral theology, concluding with a searing critique of the fourteenth-century ecclesiastical status quo. Stephen Lahey provides a complete English translation of all four books, and the 'Supplement to the Trialogue', which will be a valuable resource for scholars and students currently relying on selective translated extracts.Read more
- The complete translation of all four books plus the 'Supplement to the Trialogue' will be a valuable resource for students and scholars currently relying on selected translated extracts
- Provides insight into what was designed to be a primer on the thought that would revolutionize England and Bohemia in the fifteenth century
- Will interest readers of history seeking further understanding of the ideology behind the Hussite movement
Reviews & endorsements
"… Lahey makes the thought of the fourteenth-century Oxford scholastic theologian and Yorkshire-born English ecclesiastical reformer much more accessible to contemporary readers."
Andrew Kloes, The Expository Times
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: December 2012
- format: Adobe eBook Reader
- isbn: 9781139628334
- availability: This ISBN is for an eBook version which is distributed on our behalf by a third party.
Table of Contents
Supplement to the Trialogus: On the Endowment of the Church.
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email firstname.lastname@example.orgRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×