Principles of Seismology
The second edition of Principles of Seismology has been extensively revised and updated to present a modern approach to observation seismology and the theory behind digital seismograms. It includes: a new chapter on Earthquakes, Earth's structure and dynamics; a considerably revised chapter on instrumentation, with new material on processing of modern digital seismograms and a list of website hosting data and seismological software; and 100 end-of-chapter problems. The fundamental physical concepts on which seismic theory is based are explained in full detail with step-by-step development of the mathematical derivations, demonstrating the relationship between motions recorded in digital seismograms and the mechanics of deformable bodies. With chapter introductions and summaries, numerous examples, newly drafted illustrations and new color figures, and an updated bibliography and reference list, this intermediate-level textbook is designed to help students develop the skills to tackle real research problems.Read more
- The content has been updated and reorganized - practical aspects of seismology have been incorporated, including new developments in methodologies and new results and applications to the study of earthquakes and the Earth's structure
- Includes a new chapter on the analysis of the digital data - practically all analyses of seismological data are made using seismograms obtained from free data-banks, yet none of the existing texts covers this topic
- Has a wealth of worked examples and end-of-chapters problems, including computational exercises that can be solved by using the most recent and widespread codes and softwares, such as SAC, GMT, and PYTHON
- Online ancillaries are available, including figures in electronic format, solutions to selected problems, program codes and data for computational exercises
Reviews & endorsements
'Principles of Seismology is a comprehensive introduction covering all basic concepts and observations in seismology. This updated and extended 2nd edition has kept its emphasis on fundamental theoretical principles and observations, and is an essential reference and valuable resource as an intermediate-level text book for all students and researchers in geoscience.' Torsten Dahm, GeoForschungsZentrum, PotsdamSee more reviews
This is an excellent book that covers broad subjects with emphasis on long-lived basic principles of seismology. The recent advancement in instrumentation, computer, and high-quality data has made it very easy to perform seismological research. A downside is proliferation of black-box science without good understanding of the basic principles. This book provides all essential basic concepts and theories that are necessary to perform respectable research using modern seismological data, and is highly recommendable to the students who want to do serious research. Actually, I found it also very useful for seasoned seismologists like myself who have forgotten some basic concepts.' Hiroo Kanamori, California Institute of Technology
'This heavily revised and updated edition of Principles of Seismology contains brand new chapters on Earthquakes and modern seismic Instrumentation. It also gives a detailed historical development on various aspects of seismology with many text and website references. An essential addition to one's library of seismology textbooks.' Shamita Das, University of Oxford
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Edition: 2nd Edition
- Date Published: December 2017
- format: Adobe eBook Reader
- isbn: 9781108548557
- contains: 290 b/w illus. 10 tables
- availability: This ISBN is for an eBook version which is distributed on our behalf by a third party.
Table of Contents
1. Seismology. The science of earthquakes
2. Earthquakes, Earth's structure and dynamics
3. Instrumentation and digital data processing
4. Basic concepts and equations of an elastic medium
5. Waves in an infinite elastic medium
6. Reflection and refraction
7. Body wave propagation in layered media
8. Ray theory. Media of constant velocity
9. Ray theory media of variable velocity
10. Ray theory spherical media
11. Travel times and the structure of the Earth
12. Surface waves
13. Wave dispersion. Phase and group velocities
14. Free oscillations of the Earth. Theory and observations
15. Anelasticity and anisotropy
16. Focal parameters of earthquakes
17. Basic theory of earthquake mechanism
18. The seismic moment tensor
19. Simple models of fracture
20. Methods of determination of source mechanisms
21. Seismicity, seismotectonics, seismic risk, and prediction.
Find resources associated with this titleYour search for '' returned .
Type Name Unlocked * Format Size
This title is supported by one or more locked resources. Access to locked resources is granted exclusively by Cambridge University Press to lecturers whose faculty status has been verified. To gain access to locked resources, lecturers should sign in to or register for a Cambridge user account.
Please use locked resources responsibly and exercise your professional discretion when choosing how you share these materials with your students. Other lecturers may wish to use locked resources for assessment purposes and their usefulness is undermined when the source files (for example, solution manuals or test banks) are shared online or via social networks.
Supplementary resources are subject to copyright. Lecturers are permitted to view, print or download these resources for use in their teaching, but may not change them or use them for commercial gain.
If you are having problems accessing these resources please contact email@example.com.
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email firstname.lastname@example.orgRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×